We welcome your participation in the governance of the Laser Institute of America (LIA). During your term as Board Member you assume certain responsibilities, as outlined below.
The basic function of the Board is setting policy, providing oversight and providing strategic direction to the organization. Put the good of the society above your personal preference.
Board Members have a fiduciary responsibility to the organization of basic loyalty, avoidance of conflicts of interest, maintaining of confidentiality of sensitive organizational information and avoidance of individual use of “corporate opportunities.”
Attendance at Board of Directors Meetings
Every Board Member shall attend as many board meetings as po sible (two generally scheduled six months apart) during each year of service to the board. Please note ARTICLE I, Section 6 of the By-Laws, which considers absence from three consecutive meetings to be a resignation. Journal of Laser Applications® - The Journal is our flagship periodical publication and Board Members are urged to support and promote it in every way possible. For instance, publishing or refereeing papers, having your library purchase a subscription or supporting the JLA with corporate advertising are excellent ways to contribute to the advancement of the Journal.
Board Members are requested to use LIA courses and instructors for their safety training needs and, where appropriate, to recommend them to your customers.
Conferences and Workshops
Board Members are encouraged to support LIA conferences and workshops by serving as a chair, serving on a steering committee, attending, exhibiting or sponsoring. It is also helpful if Board Members recommend LIA conferences and workshops to their customers or to individuals within their corporation.
Board Members shall actively recruit individual and corporate members and shall maintain their LIA membership during their term of service.
Board Members should nominate other members as Fellows. Special thought should be given to potential candidates for the Schawlow, Wilkening and Rockwell Awards.
- Milan Brandt, President, RMIT University
- Minlin Zhong, President Elect, Tsinghua University
- Paul Denney, Past President, IPG Photonics
- Gilbert Haas, Treasurer, Haas Laser Technologies, Inc.
- Henrikki Pantsar, Secretary, TRUMPF, Inc.
- Clive Grafton-Reed, Rolls-Royce
- John Hunter, LPW Technology, Inc.
- Stefan Kaierle, Laser Zentrum Hannover e.V.
- Yongfeng Lu, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Eric Mottay, Amplitude Systems
- Robert Mueller, Lasers-at-Work Consulting Ltd.
- Andreas Ostendorf, Ruhr-University Bochum
- Rajesh Patel, Spectra Physics
- Silke Pflueger
- Koji Sugioka, RIKEN
- Eckhard Beyer, Fraunhofer IWS
- Corey Dunsky, AEOS Consulting, Inc.
- Lucian Hand, Altos Photonics, Inc.
- Tracey Johnson
- Markus Kogel-Hollacher, Precitec Optronik
- John Lopez, University Bordeaux/CNRS
- Reinhart Poprawe, Fraunhofer ILT
- Michael Schmidt, Bayerisches Laserzentrum GmbH
- William Shiner, IPG Photonics Corporation
- Robert Thomas, US Air Force Research Lab
- Neil Ball, Directed Light Inc.
- Robert Braunschweig, LASEA, Inc.
- Stephen Capp, LTC Holdings, Inc.
- Bo Gu, BOS Photonics
- Marshall Jones, GE Global Research (GR)
- Lin Li, University of Manchester
- Klaus Löffler, TRUMPF Laser- und Systemtechnik GmbH
- Michelle Stock, MACOM
- Michael Woods, SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory