LSO R&D tabs
This course is designed for individuals newly appointed to a Laser Safety Officer role and placed in charge of laser safety at a corporate research laboratory, or universities and colleges that are using lasers in graduate-level laboratories in physics, chemistry and electro-optics, as well as Department of Energy research laboratories. In addition, current Laser Safety Officers at research and development laboratories who would like a review or a refresher course are encouraged to attend.
Attendees will gain fundamental laser safety knowledge, including:
- What the research, development and testing environment is and why it is unique.
- The duties of an LSO as outlined in the ANSI Z136.8, Safe Use of Lasers in Research, Development, or Testing standard.
- Basic laser information as it pertains to laser safety, including nonlinear optics, ultrafast lasers, diode and fiber lasers.
- Non-beam hazards, or secondary hazards other than direct exposure to the laser beam.
- Information about regulations and relevant standards including the ANSI standards of laser safety.
- Who is responsible for laser safety in a research environment.
- The biological effects of laser exposure on the eyes and skin.
- The elements of a successful laser-safety program.
- How to design a safe laboratory with examples.
- What tools are available for the control of laser hazards.
- A course manual that follows the presentation.
- ANSI Z136.8, Safe Use of Lasers in Research, Development, or Testing
- Certificate of Completion
You may at any time prior to 10 business days before your course begins, cancel your registration and receive a refund, less an administrative fee of $99. Within 10 business days of the course, the Laser Institute of America will not issue a refund. However, you can reschedule for a future course at no cost as long as you attend within the next 12-month period. Please be aware that if you cannot attend the course and fail to give proper notification prior to your course date you will forfeit your entire course fee.