Product Code: 106_2022 | ISBN: 978-1-940168-25-8
The ANSI Z136.1 for Safe Use of Lasers is the newly updated parent document and cornerstone of the Z136 series of laser safety standards. The Z136.1 is the foundation of laser safety programs for industrial, military, medical, and educational applications nationwide. These programs are also supported by industry-specific vertical standards within the Z136 series.
The Z136.1 provides guidance for the safe use of lasers and laser systems that operate at wavelengths between 180 nm and 1000 μm by defining control measures for each of the seven laser hazard classifications. This voluntary consensus standard is referenced by the United States Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
2022 Highlights Include
- 19 new definitions of key terms
- New allowed exposure levels and exposure limits
- An updated section on “special qualifications” for medical-related exposures to include MPEs expressed in terms of illuminance
- Increased comprehension of Control Measures and Non-beam Hazards
- Examples involving new exposure limits
- The degradation of optics transmission in the UV and NIR is now included in the analysis of hazard classification of lasers
The ANSI Z136.1 standard is indispensable in creating a safe working environment where lasers are used. While it is a voluntary standard, it is a vital resource to Laser Safety Officers (LSOs) in this rapidly-growing industry.
- Order an electronic version of this standard
- View a sample of this publication.
†If you need an older version of this standard, please call the LIA office at +1.407.380.1553.
notifications Limited-Time Offer
The purchase of this standard includes a discount of 20% off the Evaluator - newly updated along with the ANSI Z136.1 Safe Use of Lasers (2022).
†Discount will apply automatically when the product is added to cart.
Note: When applicable, multiple quantity discounts are applied once the items are added to your cart.