Medical Laser Safety
Contact Gus Anibarro with any laser safety related questions or issues you may have at 1.800.34.LASER.
LIA is committed to keeping the workplace safe from hazards associated with lasers. The joined alliance with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) helps achieve these goals. For more about the LIA OSHA alliance click here.
As the use of lasers expands both in popularity and applications, there will be a growing demand for trained laser safety professionals. Visit the Board of Laser Safety's website to learn more
about the benefits of certification.
Laser Institute of America - Your Laser Safety Authority
Laser Institute of America (LIA) is the international society dedicated to fostering laser, laser applications and laser safety worldwide. Today, this unwavering dedication continues to propel LIA forward as we meet the growing demand for continuing education and safety training. LIA trains more Laser Safety Officers than any other organization in the world, and as the secretariat of the ANSI Z136 series of laser safety standards, the foundation of laser safety programs nationwide, LIA has assisted laser users in developing and implementing safety programs for over 40 years.
To help serve the medical communities, we are proud to offer flexible and convenient learning options including online training, in the classroom, or even onsite. Check out how the LIA can help your laser safety program with the resources below. Get your laser safety training and education from the leading laser safety source, Laser Institute of America, publisher of the ANSI Z136 series of laser safety standards.
LIA's Laser Safety Training
- Medical Laser Safety Officer (MLSO) - This course is designed to give operating room personnel a basic foundation in laser biophysics, tissue interaction and laser safety. Laser safety
protocols will be addressed according to the ANSI Z136.3 Safe Use of Lasers in Health Care standard, AORN recommended practices, and ASLMS practices. More
- Medical Laser Safety Training - More »
- Advanced Medical Laser Safety Officer - This course is designed to provide Medical Laser Safety Officers an in depth and thorough look at laser biophysics, tissue interaction, laser
delivery systems followed with a hands-on demonstration on multiple laser systems, surgical smoke plume management, anesthesia protocols, laser safety protocols according to the ANSI Z136.3
Safe Use of Lasers in Health Care standard, and laser safety program management and audits. More »
- MLSO Online - LIA’s MLSO online training course mirrors our popular in-classroom program. You can rest easy knowing you are receiving the same high level of training and expertise. The
only difference is the delivery method. It is offered over the Internet in a convenient, easy-to-use online format. More »
- Medical Laser Safety Awareness Training Online - This course is designed as a tool for the Laser Safety Officer working in a medical facility such as a hospital, surgery center,
clinic, or physician’s private practice who must ensure that the staff is trained in laser safety. This course eliminates the need to bring in an outside expert or send personnel to a course. This
short training session will cover the safety basics for those medical personnel operating or working near a laser system. Multi-User option is available for this course. More »
- Physicians Laser Safety Training Online - In the Laser Safety for Physicians course, you will gain valuable knowledge and understanding of the basics of laser safety in a surgical
environment, legal requirements, who regulates lasers, safe operating use, and safety controls. In less than two hours—accessed entirely online from your home or office—you will be better prepared to
offer a safer medical office for your patients and employees. More »
- CO2 Medical Laser Safety Training Online - Developed specifically for nurses in the operating room, surgical scrub technicians, and circulating nurses, the CO2
Medical Laser Safety Course will provide the foundation needed to practice optimal laser safety when working specifically with CO2 lasers. While the course is ideal for medical staff
without any prior laser safety training, it provides a comprehensive overview for more advanced medical laser safety officers as well. More »
Onsite Laser Safety Training
- Onsite Laser Safety Training - With our onsite training solutions, you will save on travel expenses and have more control over the training schedule and content. Plus, you can
set a higher safety standard by training your entire staff at one time, providing an enhanced level of consistency and compliance. More »
- ANSI Z136.3 (2011) Safe Use of Lasers in Health Care - The ANSI Z136.3 is recognized as the definitive document on laser safety in all health care environments. It provides guidance for the safe use of lasers for diagnostic, cosmetic, preventative and therapeutic applications in any location where bodily structure or function is altered or symptoms are relieved. More »
- ANSI Z136.1 (2014) Safe Use of Lasers - The parent document and cornerstone of the Z136 series of laser safety standards, the revised ANSI Z136.1 (2007) provides guidance for the safe use of lasers and laser systems by defining control measures for each of the four laser classes. More »
- All ANSI Z136 Standards - More »
Laser Safety & Application Resources »
- CMLSOs' Best Practices in Laser Safety - Medical personnel in charge of the safe use of lasers for therapeutic procedures have a valuable new tool to help prevent harm to patients and health-care professionals. The Laser Institute of America has assembled the expert knowledge of leading certified medical laser safety officers in a new book, CMLSOs' Best Practices in Medical Laser Safety More »
- Laser Safety Guide »
- LIA's Laser Safety Manual »
- Laser Application Resources »