Product Code: 113_2018 | ISBN: 978-1-940168-15-9
ANSI Z136.3 (2018) - Safe Use of Lasers in Health Care (Hardcopy Version)
The ANSI Z136.3 (2018) - Hardcopy Version is the print copy version of the standard that is nationally recognized as the definitive document on laser safety in all health care environments, providing guidance for the safe use of lasers for diagnostic, cosmetic, preventative and therapeutic applications where bodily structure or function is altered or symptoms are relieved. This standard is applicable to any location where a health care laser system (HCLS) is used as a medical device, including hospital facilities, ambulatory surgery centers, individual medical, dental and veterinarian offices, and non-medical locations, such as salons and spas. It is intended for use by all personnel associated with the installation, operation, calibration, maintenance and service of the HCLS, as well as anyone who might be exposed to laser energy during a health care application procedure. Undeniably a must-have for all medical laser safety officers (MLSOs)!
Extensively revised to reflect current thinking and practice, updates to the Z136.3 (2018) include:
- Clarification of the roles and responsibilities of the Laser Safety Officer (LSO), Deputy LSO, Laser Safety Site Contact and Laser Safety Specialist, with additional information regarding these positions discussed in a new normative appendix.
- Introduction of the newly defined Class 1C, intended for laser products used essentially in contact with the skin.
- Greater detail on laser generated airborne contaminants (LGAC) and plume and airborne contaminants (PAC).
- Expanded guidelines for third-party laser rentals.
- More clearly defined control measures; changes to area warnings signage in both design and signal words.
The Z136.3 standard is a proven key to a successful medical laser safety program. It has helped thousands of MLSOs lend credibility to and implement medical laser safety policies and procedures. From MLSO instructor and subject matter expert Leslie Pollard, “When I am asked to make just one suggestion to a healthcare professional with a primary goal to ensure the efficacy and appropriate framework at their facility in order to begin the journey of developing or supporting a thorough and compliant health related laser safety program, that initial suggestion will always be to purchase, read, and understand the latest edition of the ANSI Z136.3.”
- View a Sample of this publication (includes the Table of Contents).
- Order an electronic (single-user PDF) version of this standard.
This standard is designed to be used in conjunction with the ANSI Z136.1 (2014). Both documents are available for purchase as a set:
- Electronic Set: ANSI Z136.1 (2014) & ANSI Z136.3 (2018)
- Hardcopy Set: ANSI Z136.1 (2014) & ANSI Z136.3 (2018)
For site license inquiries, please contact Mark Brown, Director of Sales (ANSI), +1.212.642.4935.
Note: When applicable, multiple quantity discounts are applied once the items are added to your cart.