Contact Gus Anibarro with any laser safety related questions or issues you may have at 1.800.34.LASER.
As the use of lasers expands both in popularity and applications, there will be a growing demand for trained laser safety professionals. Visit the Board of Laser Safety's website to learn more
about the benefits of certification.
Laser Institute of America - Your Laser Safety Authority
Laser Institute of America (LIA) is the international society dedicated to fostering laser, laser applications and laser safety worldwide. Today, this unwavering dedication continues to propel LIA forward as we meet the growing demand for continuing education and safety training. LIA trains more Laser Safety Officers than any other organization in the world, and as the secretariat of the ANSI Z136 series of laser safety standards, the foundation of laser safety programs nationwide, LIA has assisted laser users in developing and implementing safety programs for over 40 years.
To help serve the industrial, research and government communities, we are proud to offer flexible and convenient learning options including online training, in the classroom, or even onsite. Check
out how the LIA can help your laser safety program with the resources below. Get your laser safety training and education from the leading laser safety source, Laser Institute of America, publisher
of the ANSI Z136 series of laser safety standards.
For information on the LIA OSHA alliance click here.
LIA's Laser Safety Training
- Laser Safety Officer with Hazard Analysis - LIA's flagship course! Designed to teach the knowledge required to perform the duties of Laser Safety Officer as described in the ANSI Z136.1 Safe Use of Lasers standard. You will also learn hazard analysis calculations such as maximum permissible exposure (MPE), optical density (OD) and nominal hazard zone (NHZ). More »
- Laser Safety Officer - A non-mathematical approach designed to teach the administrative duties of Laser Safety Officer as described in the ANSI Z136.1 Safe Use of Laser standard. More »
- Advanced LSO - This course is suited for Laser Safety Officers and laser safety professionals who desire an in-depth knowledge on laser hazard assessment and laser safety calculations.
Persons attending should have knowledge of lasers and laser safety training. More »
- Industrial Laser Safety Officer Training - This course is intended for industrial laser safety professional involved with laser processes such as laser cutting, drilling, and welding of metals and other materials. This course will address these hazards in detail and present methods of how to minimize these hazards. In addition, OSHA and other federal regulations, and consensus standards will be presented that address the issue of laser safety from a regulatory perspective. More »
- New! Industrial LSO Training and Laser Applications Overview -This unique course combines LIA's Industrial Laser Safety Officer training and a new Laser Applications Overview course. It offers multiple options for individuals who just want LSO training or individuals who want to learn how lasers can give their company a competitive edge using lasers in their industrial laser processes. More »
- LSO Online - LIA's Laser Safety Officer Course is the most comprehensive and convenient program available -- ONLINE. With access to the training online, you can enhance your laser safety knowledge whenever it's convenient for you, from home or the office. More »
- Industrial Laser Safety Online - If you are working with or around lasers in an industrial setting, there is a unique set of safety concerns to address. Whether you are a small shop with one laser, or a large manufacturer with several laser processing systems, LIA’s Industrial Laser Safety Course provides the specialized training you need for laser materials processing. More »
- onsite Laser Safety Training - With our onsite training solutions, you will save on travel expenses and have more control over the training schedule and content. Plus, you can set a higher safety standard by training your entire staff at one time, providing an enhanced level of consistency and compliance. More »
- Industrial Laser Safety Audit - The goal of the Industrial Laser Safety Audit is to ensure your organization is in compliance with both the United States OSHA Workplace Safety Requirements (Public Law 91-596) and ANSI Z136.1 Safe Use of Lasers. More »
ANSI Z136.1 (2007) Safe Use of Lasers - The parent document and cornerstone of the Z136 series of laser safety standards, the revised ANSI Z136.1 (2007) provides guidance for the safe use of lasers and laser systems by defining control measures for each of the four laser classes. More »
- ANSI Z136.4 Recommended Practice for Laser Safety Measurements for Hazard Evaluation »
- ANSI Z136.5 (2009) Safe Use Of Lasers In Educational Institutions »
- ANSI Z136.6 Safe Use of Lasers Outdoors »
- ANSI Z136.7 Testing and Labeling of Laser Protective Equipment »
Safety Publications & Guides
- CLSOs' Best Practices in Laser Safety - CLSOs' Best Practices in Laser Safety concentrates on how to address Class 3B and Class 4 laser hazards and their safe operation. The book is a compendium of procedures, policies and practical advice to be used by laser safety professionals. More »
- LIA Guide for Selection of Laser Eye Protection »
- Laser Safety Guide »
- Laser Safety: Tools & Training »
- LIA's Laser Safety Manual »
- Laser Application Resources »
Laser Warning Signs & Labels
One of the important aspects of implementing a successful laser safety program is displaying proper signage. According to ANSI Z136.1 Safe Use of Lasers, laser area warning signs should be posted around Class 2M and 3R laser areas, and are required to be posted around all Class 3B and 4 laser areas. Additionally, when Class 3B and Class 4 lasers are being serviced or receiving maintenance of any kind, laser 'notice' signs are required to be posted. LIA provides laser warning and laser notice signs that meet ANSI Z136.1 requirements for laser safety, and can be customized to meet your laser's specifications. More »